Fort GordonFort Gordon is a United States Army installation and the current home of the United States Army Signal Corps. The fort is located in Richmond, Jefferson, McDuffie, and Columbia counties, and if it had an official hometown, Grovetown would be it.
The main componment of the post is the Advanced Individual Training for Signal Corps military occupational specialties. Fort Gordon trains more military personnel than any other training center of the U.S. Army.
Considered a mission partner on Fort Gordon is the Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center (DDEAMC), home of the Southeast Regional Medical Command (SERMC) as well as a dental laboratory. The facility treats active duty military and their families, as well as many of the military retiree community in the Central Savannah River Area. Under SERMC, the hospital is responsible for military hospital care from Kentucky to Puerto Rico.
Fort Gordon has approximately 30,000 military and civilian employees and currently has an estimated $1.1 billion economic impact on the Augusta-Richmond County economy.
Camp Gordon was created in July 1941 as a World War II training camp for the 4th and 26th Infantry Divisions, and the 10th Armored Division. It was named for LTG John Brown Gordon, a native Georgian, soldier, legislator, and businessman. Following World War II, the camp was designated a U.S. Army Personnel and Separation Center.
From October 1943 to January 1945 Camp Gordon served as an internment camp for foreign prisoners of war. From May 1945 until April 1946 the U.S. Army Personnel and Separation Center processed nearly 86,000 personnel for discharge from the Army.
From early 1946 to June 1947, the U.S. Army Disciplinary Barracks for convicted criminals was located at Camp Gordon, and the installation was scheduled for deactivation. However, two major schools were brought to Camp Gordon in 1948: the Military Police School and the Signal Corps Training Center.
On March 21, 1956, Camp Gordon was re-designated as Fort Gordon, making it a permanent part of the Army’s readiness posture. On January 3, 1958, a Noncommissioned Officer Academy was established at Ft Gordon. By the 1990s, it was the Army’s largest NCO Academy. In the 1950s, the Korean War led to a major expansion of the Signal Corps Training Center, making it the largest single source of Army communications specialists. The Civil Affairs and Military Government School was established at Camp Gordon in October 1955 where it remained until its move to Fort Bragg in 1971.
During Korean and Vietnam Wars, from the 1950s through the 1970s, Fort Gordon served as a basic-training facility. It also provided advanced individual training for troops. Between 1966 and 1968, approximately 2,200 Signal Officers were trained at Fort Gordon's Signal Officer Candidate School (OCS), before all US Army branch OCSs were merged with the Infantry OCS at Fort Benning, Georgia.
Since June 1985 Fort Gordon has housed the U.S. Signal Corps, the branch of the U.S. Army responsible for providing and maintaining information systems and communication networks. The Signal Corps training center's primary purpose is to conduct specialized instruction for all Signal Corps military and civilian personnel.
A Multi-Mission Installation
All Army information technology and communications training is conducted at Ft Gordon, ranging from training for new enlistees to NCO and officer basic and advanced training. Joint training for all services is conducted for satellite communications and select radio and computer science courses.
The 93rd Signal Brigade is a tenant unit with primarily support to the South and Central American theaters, and has been assigned the additional communications support mission for U.S. homeland defense. The 93rd has also supported Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Battle Command Battle Laboratory is also directly involved in homeland defense initiatives.
Through a formal partnership with the National Science Center-Fort Discovery in Augusta, the Army and Ft Gordon are directly involved in teaching math, science and technology to school children and faculty throughout the U.S.
The Commanding General of Eisenhower Army Medical Center also serves as Chief of the Army Medical Corps, and as the Commander of the SE Regional Medical Command, with responsibility for Army medical treatment facilities throughout the SE U.S. and Puerto Rico. Ft Gordon is also home to the SE Regional Dental and Veterinary Commands.
Eisenhower conducts Army graduate medical education, and the residents and interns training here also train at area civilian medical facilities. Students from the Medical College of Georgia conduct some of their training at Eisenhower. The Center for Total Access is an international leader in medical informatics technology, distance learning education, medical and non-medical R&D, and disaster-preparedness training.
The Army’s only dental lab is housed at Ft Gordon, providing partials, crowns and dentures to servicemembers worldwide. Eisenhower is also the site of the Army’s only multi-person hyperbaric chamber facility. The Dental Clinic shares resources and residency training programs with the Medical College of Georgia’s Dental School.
In addition, Eisenhower has 16 formal partnerships with area medical facilities, including a $3.5M contract for obstetric care at MCG. Ft Gordon is home to the 249th General Hospital, a 500-bed tactical field hospital.
The 73rd Ordnance Battalion is an element of the Signal School where signal and electronic maintenance and repair training are conducted.
The 513th Military Intelligence Brigade is a tenant unit conducting intelligence and security operations worldwide. Another tenant, the Gordon Regional Security Operations Center, is a joint strategic intelligence unit, one of only three worldwide. The GRSOC provides real-time intelligence support primarily to the European and Southwest Asia theaters of operation.
The 359th Signal Brigade Headquarters (USAR), 324th Tactical Signal Battalion (USAR) and B/878th Engineering Construction Company (Georgia Army National Guard) are tenants on Fort Gordon. Approximately 40,000 reservists/guardsmen train here annually, a site that is particularly attractive to artillery units due to less competition for range time and no problems with noise encroachment. The Medical Regional Training Site is the largest of three high-tech field medical training facilities in the U.S. In addition, the Youth Challenge Academy provides last-chance opportunity for high school dropouts to complete their GED and become productive citizens.
Ft Gordon is one of three Army installations participating in the Joint Security Installation Pilot Program (JSIPP). The objective of the JSIPP program is to develop, test and evaluate the tactics, techniques and procedures for installation level chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive detection, protection and emergency response. Through partnerships with MCG and other Federal, State and local agencies, Ft Gordon is developing a Disaster Medicine Center of Excellence.
The Training Aid Support Center (TASC) fabricates simulated munitions and weapons used to train members of all military services worldwide. An example is the land mine kits prepared for units deploying to Bosnia, Afghanistan and Iraq to train on detection and disarmament. A new $4.8M TASC facility was approved in the 2004 military construction budget. The US Air Force 94th Airlift Wing, based at Dobbins Air Reserve Base, conducts heavy drop training at Preston Drop Zone, Ft Gordon. The Joint Communications Support Element, based at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, FL, and the 35th Signal Brigade, based at Fort Bragg, NC, conduct parachute
City of Grovetown
103 Old Wrightsboro Road
Grovetown, GA 30813-3015